Why is preparing your furnace for the cold season important in the Dallas-Fort Worth area? With winter rapidly approaching, now is the time to make sure that your furnace is working properly. Weather can change quickly during fall and winter, and it is essential to have your furnace prepared to use. Here are a few things that you can do to make sure that your furnace is working properly this winter and that your family remains safe.
1. Check your Carbon Monoxide Detector. For safety reasons, the first thing you should do is check the batteries in your carbon monoxide detector and ensure that everything is in working order. If you do not have a Carbon Monoxide Detector in your home contact Xtreme Air Services to have one installed. Once this is completed, you can focus your attention on your furnace.
2. Change Air Filters. It sounds simple but one of the most important things you can do for your HVAC system is making sure you have clean air filters. Having clean filters allows the air to flow freely into your furnace. Having clean filters also reduces the stress on your heating unit when it is trying to bring in air to heat. Another benefit of getting your filters changed regularly is to help reduce the amount of dust that can enter your furnace’s ductwork and interior.
3. Check your Thermostat. If you have an older thermostat, check to make sure it is still in working condition. Try turning on your furnace and see if it engages. If your thermostat is old, it may be beneficial to have a new one installed. A newer thermostat will be more efficient and can help save you money on your heating bills. If you have a newer thermostat that requires batteries, replace the batteries in the thermostat so it does not turn off in the middle of a cold night.
4. After starting your furnace listen for strange or unusual noises coming from your heating system. Sometimes after a long period of inactivity the blower fan may get loose and cause noises. There can be many reasons as to why a strange noise is coming from your furnace. We recommend contacting a local professional like Xtreme Air Services to make sure that everything is fixed to industry safety standards.
5. Even if it seems that your furnace is working fine you may notice that the system is not heating as it should. In that case we recommend having a professional check the efficiency of your heating system to make sure the unit performs to its fullest ability.
6. Schedule a Furnace Tune-Up Service with Xtreme Air Services. HVAC systems need regular maintenance just like a car or any piece of mechanical equipment Xtreme Air Services offers a 21-point inspection and tune-up where a professional technician will come out to clean and inspect your furnace to make sure it is ready for winter. This preventative maintenance service will look for worn or broken parts as well as any other issue that may prevent your furnace from working. Preventative maintenance can help ensure that your furnace is working when the cold hits and may prevent emergency service calls during the coldest parts of the year.